Define priority of pan, tilt, and roll rotation axes.
- [Narrator] On a real video tripod,…the rotation axes are prioritized mechanically.…Panning left to right is easiest.…Tilting up and down is less important,…and for some, tripods rolling along…the camera's line of sight is not possible at all,…and if it is possible, it's certainly lowest priority.…And to simulate the way a real tripod works,…we can set up the camera to assume a certain rotation order.…Select the camera, and go into the motion panel,…looks like a wheel or a circle,…and in the parameters sub-panel,…under PRS parameters, choose rotation.…
And here we have Euler parameters…and the axis order is listed.…From that pull down list, we want to choose…the very last one, which is ZXZ.…When we do that, the camera changes…its orientation relative to the world.…Let's fix that very quickly.…Select the rotate tool, make sure you're…in Gimbal coordinate space, and in…the transform type-in dialogue at the bottom,…type in an X value of zero, and a Y value of 90°.…
And now we've restored the camera back…to the framing we had a moment ago before…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.