Selectively hide geometry by distance in viewport.
- [Narrator] Viewport clipping is a really useful…technique for isolating objects in a scene based upon…distance to a camera or a viewport.…In this example, I have a Cactus plant that I want to…place upon the kitchen counter here and because I don't…have any lighting or shadows in the view, it's a little…challenging to place the object in the camera view here.…I'll click on that; it's a group; select the move tool…and move it up and down in world space…and it's just a little bit difficult for me…to know where the surfaces are.…
Viewport clipping gives a way to visualize…this very precisely in an orthographic panel.…Specifically, in this case, in the left view; let's go…over there; I've still got the Cactus group selected.…Right click in the left viewport to activate…the viewport without losing the selection.…Zoom in on the selected group with the keyboard shortcut…which is z or zed and now we back just a little bit…with the mouse wheel and position the view with the middle…mouse button and once again it's a little difficult…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.