Cross references created in InDesign give you the ability to reference different sections within a document and are also tagged properly in an exported PDF file. See how it’s done in this video.
- [Instructor] Cross-references are a powerful way…to link to different sections within an InDesign document…that will pass that information…on to an accessible PDF file.…So when you have references…to different sections in a document,…it's good to use cross-references…because that's going to make those references navigable…by users of assistive software.…So let's take a look at how this works.…So I'm going to start by going to,…I have a page in my document…where I need to add a cross-reference,…and that page is on…page nine.…
And I'm going to zoom in on the bottom of page nine.…And you could see that right here,…we have a reference that says see section 3.3.…And…so that's all well and good,…but when we export this to a PDF file,…there's not going to be a link and it's not going to be accessible…to anybody, for that matter,…whether it's using assistive software…or just in the PDF and clicking on it.…So what I'm going to do is I'm going to delete this.…
And what we'll do is we'll open up…the Cross-References panel.…
- What is accessibility?
- The screen reader experience
- Setting up Acrobat DC
- PDF remediation workflow
- Tagging content, including lists and tables
- Adding metadata, bookmarks, and alt text
- Generating a PDF with Microsoft Word and Adobe InDesign
- Creating accessible PDFs from PowerPoint and Excel
- Adding hyperlinks
- Controlling tag and reading order
- Adding cross-references and tables of contents
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding Accessibility
2. Accessibility in PDF Files
3. Make an Existing PDF File Accessible
4. Create an Accessible PDF File from Word
5. Create an Accessible PDF File from Powerpoint and Excel
6. Create an Accessible PDF File from Adobe InDesign
Next steps2m 20s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.