Learn about giving people a head start in completing the goal, discover how to motivate them.
- [Narrator] The endowed progress effect … is the idea that if you provide … some type of artificial advancement towards a goal, … a person will be more motivated to complete the goal. … Basically, when people feel … that they've made some progress towards a goal, … then they will become more committed … towards continued effort in achieving the goal. … Perception is critically important with this … and the appearance of progress can have a strong effect. … So how does this affect building forms? … If you try these tips, this can really help. … Stagger questions with the easiest at the beginning … and the hardest towards the end. … Users will speed through the initial sections, … triggering a streak effect, … which is the satisfaction of quick progress … and a reluctance to break the streak. … You should chunk information so users are not overwhelmed … and pair this with indicating progress … so they are less likely to abandon the process. … Use a progress bar. … Visualize user progress to reflect back to them …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.