Learn about what help messages are and how to use them.
- [Instructor] You should never have to explain … to users how to fill out a form. … This might sound pretty weird, … but the main point here is very obvious. … Your form should be intuitive. … If the form is too complicated to fill out, … then redesigning it is your only option. … Thus input fields which require lengthy explanations … should be kept to a minimum, or avoided completely, … especially on mobile. … Accompanying text should be used … only where it's really needed. … As a rule of thumb, do not exceed 100 words of explanation. … Concise help text next to the input fields is most useful. … If you ask the user for unfamiliar data, … make sure that you provide a way … that they can find more details. … It's very common that the security code on a credit card … is not completely intuitive to most people, … so you can see that I have a question mark here … and if I click it, … a little popup window is going to give more explanation … about where we can find that information. … People might question why you are asking for specific data. …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.