Learn about sliced fields and single fields and why input field masking might be your best option. See how masked fields can help both you and your user share the right information.
- [Instructor] It is not good practice to slice fields … when asking for phone numbers or data bursts. … Sliced fields force the user … to unnecessarily make additional clicks … to move into the next field. … Instead, it's better to have one single field … with clear formatting guidelines in the placeholder … or as code hinting. … The best solution however, … is to use an input mask. … Let me show you what that looks like. … Input field masking is a technique that helps users … format inputted text. … A mask appears once a user focuses on a field … and begins to type. … If I go into the phone number field … and I start to type the first three characters … of the phone number, … you'll see that a parentheses appears on the left hand side. … As soon as I enter the next three numbers, … the closing parentheses appears … and if I continue to type in the phone number … with the following numbers, … you can see that the dash appears … between the second and third set of numeric values. … Input masks help users to focus on the required data …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.