Learn about how to best organize form actions.
- [Instructor] Like headings, … button labels should be brief and descriptive, … such that the user will have no trouble deciding … whether or not to use them. … Furthermore, button labels should always contain an action. … Labels indicate the function of each button. … Add a clear message of what happens … after the user clicks on the button. … A good button isn't just about asking users … which action they want to perform. … It's also about making each option as clear as possible. … That's why it's so important to have a distinct label … for each option. … An explicit label serves as a just in time help … giving users more confidence … in selecting the correct action. … It's often better to name a button … to explain what it does … than to use a generic label like okay or yes. … Use a verb whenever possible instead of okay or no, … because your buttons will make more sense out of context … with the explanatory text or title. … Does your submit button say submit? … Toss it out. … It's plain and it doesn't tell you anything …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.