Using labels is essential and helpful for users, and it is one of the best ways to make UIs accessible. Discover some best practices to make your form labels clear and relevant.
- [Instructor] Clear label text is one of the primary ways … to make UIs more accessible. … Labels tell the user the purpose of the field, … maintain their usefulness … when focus is placed inside the field, … and should remain even after completing the field. … There are four broad parameters … that improve the user experience for everyone. … Visually, it makes it easier to see. … Auditory is going to make it easy to hear. … Motor will make it easy to interact with, … and cognitive is going to make it easy to understand. … By looking at labels from each of these standpoints, … we can see just how important labels are. … Sighted users can read them, … visually impaired users can hear them … by using a screen reader, … and motor impaired users can more easily set focus … to the field thanks to the larger hit area. … That's because clicking a label … sets focus to the associated form element. … Failing to include a label … means ignoring the needs of many users, … including those with physical and cognitive impairments. …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.