Why do you use forms, and why is your user going to fill one out? Consider the function of your form and whether you are making things more complex than needed, and explore the goals of your forms.
- [Instructor] Forms are a vehicle for communication. … There are two parties involved, so when designing a form, … you'll also need to think from your user's perspective, … and that starts with their purpose and context. … Why should someone fill our your form? … What's their purpose? … Write it down. … Purpose is embedded in context, … so make context specific in your mind's eye. … Where and how are they filling out the form? … Are they at home? … Are they on a laptop, a mobile device, on the subway? … Context isn't just about environment. … It's about your participants' understanding … of what your form can achieve with their help. … Someone who uses your app or website has a particular goal. … Often, the one thing standing between the user … and their goal is a form. … Forms remain one of the most important types … of interactions for users on the web and in apps. … In fact, forms are often considered the final step … in the journey of completing their goals. … Forms are just a means to an end. …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.