Consider ways to eliminate extra fields and avoid asking for unnecessary information. Get some tips on how to avoid these redundancies.
- [Instructor] When building forms … we should strive to eliminate redundant fields. … Do your users really need a username to sign up? … Users don't want to think of another name. … Use email or mobile number as username by default. … It's faster and easier to remember. … Another field to consider kicking to the curb … is confirm password. … This field is outdated … and only necessary because of password masking. … That's the technology that makes every letter … look like an identical bullet point … when it's entered into a form. … It gives the impression of extra security, … but the only thing it really protects from … is people peaking over your shoulder. … Ask yourself, … are my prospects really creating their passwords … in a crowded public setting? … Not likely. … Instead of using a confirm password field, … allow users to see what they're typing, … by unmasking the original password field, … or using a show/hide feature. … If you use this within your forms, … the user can easily choose to display their password …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.