Learn about best practices on using required fields and optional fields.
- [Instructor] Traditionally, required fields … are clearly marked on forms by either using … the word required or an asterisk … and you can use either a graphic or the keyboard symbol. … Sometimes the indicator is before the label … and sometimes it's after. … The indicators are commonly red, … but they can be other colors as well. … There is really no standard method. … Many forms will have every field marked as required. … While some schools of thought believe … this is helpful to the user, … wouldn't it be more user friendly to only ask of our users … exactly what we need? … So what's wrong with the required indicator? … From a psychological perspective, … we should be indicating positive information. … The word and implication of required … makes people feel trapped and uncomfortable. … It seems a little too harsh. … With that being said, … there are situations where you'll be asking for information … that may not be required, … so how should we distinguish this information? … First, try to avoid optional fields in forms. …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.