Learn about practices and strategies for dealing with long forms.
- [Instructor] Users have short attention spans. … They are used to accomplishing things quickly … on the internet. … A long form is considered one … with more than seven questions. … Long forms tend to put users off, … but sometimes they can't be avoided. … If you have a long form with lots of questions, … break it up across several pages. … This makes the form look more manageable … and less overwhelming to the user. … Group your questions into sections. … When you have a long form, you are likely asking questions … across many different themes. … Your goal is to identify what these themes are … and sort your questions into easy, manageable chunks. … Once you have sections, this means that you … can more clearly map where a person is … in the process of completing the form. … Completing sections also allows for small rewards … in a long and likely not-so-fun form-filling process. … Make location visible. … With a paper form, you can scan … the entire document before starting. … This means that a person filling out a form …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.