Learn about how to write so that your audience will listen.
- [Instructor] Usability and user experience … aren't just about how a web form looks. … It's also about how your web form talks to people, … the words you use and how you say them. … To follow web form usability best practices, … don't stop at designing a layout or style of a form. … A web form is a text-driven interface. … The core of the interaction is the questions asked … and the answers given. … This is why the words we use in the form, … and not how it looks, … are the most important part of the design. … Think about forms that you have used … that have caused confusion. … I bet the confusion was due to … the wording of the question or on the action button. … If we want the user experience of our form to be good, … we need to write good questions and have good responses. … This sounds easy, but it isn't always the case. … Here are examples of wording that can cause confusion. … On the left, we have the poor use of words. … We're asking if somebody wants to cancel their phone plan, …
- Why form design matters
- Incorporating visual information
- Selecting colors for web forms
- Designating types of inputs
- Grouping and sequencing questions
- Helping with predictive search
- Showing validation and success messages
- Addressing errors
- Designing forms for mobile screens
- Leveraging boxes, buttons, and tabs
- Adding CAPTCHA to forms
- Accessibility considerations
Skill Level Intermediate
Design the Web: Styling Form Elementswith Chris Converse39m 34s Beginner
Careers in Web Design and Developmentwith Jen Kramer27m 55s Intermediate
1. Forms Are for Everyone
2. Form Organization
3. Organizing Content
4. Guiding Users Through the Form
5. Actions and Buttons
Alignment and styling3m 24s
6. Form Visuals
7. Specific Form Type Tips
8. Common Form Needs and Considerations
Next steps2m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.