- There are many line types you can use to apply lines to your 3D objects using Sketch & Toon. But what if you want to isolate individual edges and apply lines to just those edges? In this movie I'll show you how you can use the Selections tab to do just that. Now, if we navigate to our Sketch Style Tag here and go to the Selections tab, you'll see we have all of these options. First you have the ability to either Exclude or Include polygon or edge selections, so we can use either polygon or edge selections by dragging them into some of these fields and either including them or excluding them from having any lines applied to them.
So let's go ahead and make some polygon selections here. So I've got my Slider selected, and I'll get out of my Interactive Render Region, and let's just make a polygon selection and just select all of this front face of our slider. So to do that I'm going to go to my Select options, Phong Break Selection, and this is just going to select this front, whole front face of the slider. Go back to Select, and we're going to save that selection by choosing Set Selection.
And that will save our polygon selection in this Polygon Selection Tag. So we can now use this to isolate which parts of our geometry to apply lines or edges to. So we'll go and we'll use this Polygon Selection tab and we'll drag it into this Lines field. Now the Mode's set to Exclude, so when we go back to our Interactive Render Region, we should see that we no longer have lines along those polygon edges, and that's exactly what we see here.
We no longer have lines right here on this inner part of our slider or on the outside edges. So, conversely, we can go and choose the Include mode and that'll just basically invert that whole thing. And now, that part that didn't have any lines is now the only part of our geometry that has lines applied to it. So you can see our whole front face has lines to it, but this back edge does not, because that was not part of our polygon selection and so is not included in this line application.
So, we can do the same exact thing with Edge Selections, so that was a Polygon Selection. Let's go back to our slider object here and I'm just going to select this one edge here. We'll load that up by setting that selection. Then we'll do the same thing, we'll drag and drop this into the Lines field, go to Interactive Render Region, and you'll now see, just like the polygon selection, we now only have lines applied to that edge that we have loaded in that edge selection that is in our Lines field.
And again, we can Invert that by changing the mode to Exclude, and now that edge selection is the only part of that geometry that does not have a line applied to it. So the Sketch Style Tag Selection option gives you control on a polygon and edge level, allowing you to apply lines precisely to the parts of your geometry that you want.
- Overview of Sketch and Toon
- 2D shading with the Cel Shader
- Using Sketch Style tags
- Working with advanced stroke types
- Creating effects with advanced Sketch materials
- Adjusting Sketch and Toon options
- Rendering Sketch and Toon effects