Typographic simplicity and its relationship to contemporary identity design is investigated using examples of recent rebrands. Bill Gardner introduces the concept of off-shifting typographic solutions to allow the relationship of letters to conjure up an entirely new meaning. Hidden messages are explored as they demonstrate an opportunity to turn simple logos into captivating puzzles.
- As this section's a discussion…centered around typographic solutions,…I think it's important to bring up a trend…that's dominated visual branding…more than any other this year.…As we discuss a return to simplicity of elements,…we have to discuss a return…to some incredibly austere work marks…created for some of the largest players in the industry.…There've been a multitude of identity shifts…that watched corporations or organizations…abandon symbols, logos, and highly contrived display type…for audacious simplicity.…
I mean to cast no insults on the creators of these logos…because I know what appears to be…canned to feature a type…are actually finely manipulated solutions…redrawn to perfection.…I'm equally positive they're achieving every aspiration…of the associated project design brief.…All that said, they are incredibly Spartan.…Google maintains that flare of its signature colors.…Lonovo kindly borrowed Google's jaunty tipped E,…and Verizon smartly consolidated their zig zagging Z…and satellite bouncing V for a demure check mark…
Discover how logo trends get started and how they evolve. See how several, different designers were able to manifest a different successful solution using the same general concept behind a trend. You'll also learn where to look to find sparks for your next identity project that will allow you to launch into the vanguard of identifying trends before others.
- Detecting logo design trends
- Identifying marks and techniques to launch your next design
- Determining which elements captivate consumers
- Leveraging new ways to express dimension
- Shifting the use of shape and line to communicate strength