It is difficult for a misfit employee to feel engaged. In this video, Don Phin shares the two types of tools you can use in the hiring process to protect you from hiring misfits. Doing so can reduce the frustration, low productivity, disengagement, and turnover that comes with them!
- Have you ever tried to put a round peg into a square hole? … Why would you do that? … Wouldn't work very well, would it? … It's like that when you're hiring new employees, too. … If you're hiring around peg to work in a square hole, … you're guaranteed frustration, disengagement, … and turnover. … To have the greatest chance of success, … an employee needs to be a good fit. … So test each candidate's skills … and assess for their personality. … Disengaged employees are often misfits … and without testing and assessing, … you are blindly hoping that someone will be … a good fit for the job. … There are some good tools you can use … to help evaluate your candidates. … The first tools are skills tests and there's two kinds, … substantive and procedural. … Substantive testing measures a person's knowledge. … For example, if you're hiring a lawyer, … you can test them on their knowledge … of the law they'll be practicing. … If hiring a truck driver, you can test them … on their safety knowledge of operating a big rig. …
- Exercising discretionary effort
- Attracting engaged employees
- Assessing the fit of employees
- Making onboarding more engaging
- Learning from new employees
- Provide opportunities for career growth
- Clarifying objectives
- Measuring engagement using surveys
- Being present for employees
- Driving engagement with fun
Skill Level Advanced
Human Resources: Running Company Onboardingwith Jeff Toister42m 49s Intermediate
Engagement = success1m 33s
1. Engagement Begins with You
2. The Engaged Employee
3. Turning Engagement into Productivity
4. Engagement Is an Experience
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.