In this video, Phil Gold dicusses some considerations regarding infrastructure needs of a remote team. Learn about some considerations you'll need to make regarding hardware, software, and connectivity for remote teams.
- One of the challenges to a successful … remote team is infrastructure. … This has a few different aspects. … First of all, who supplies your remote workers … with the equipment that they use in performing their job? … Your company probably provides computers … for in-house workers. … But do you supply them to your remote workers too? … Carol's company ships every new remote worker a laptop. … These machines are fairly bare bones. … They're not super powerful, but they get the job done. … Every few years, they get refreshed for newer versions. … Chuck's company, on the other hand, … expects developers to supply their own computers. … Since it's a safe assumption that these people … have fairly robust setups of their own, … it makes more sense to do it this way. … What both companies have is a minimum bandwidth requirement. … It's pretty difficult to work remotely … without a high speed internet connection, isn't it? … If you can't get fast enough service, … you don't qualify for remote work. …
Note: This course was featured in Market Watch, Inc., Fortune, Forbes, and Entrepreneur.
- Providing consistency and structure in a remote team
- Managing mixed remote and onsite teams
- Fostering equality and transparency
- Creating opportunities for in-person interactions
- Maintaining regular contact with remote team members
- Managing workloads and deliverables