Learn strategies that can help you master your interpersonal communication skills in the workplace.
(gentle music) - It's ironic, that the more technology becomes a part of our everyday lives, emailing people all the time, interacting on social media, doing conference calls and webinars, the more our interpersonal communication skills become critical. That's because there's more room for misunderstanding when we're not communicating face to face. So if you can hone and master your interpersonal communication skills, it gives you a major competitive advantage in today's workplace. I'm Dorie Clark. I teach for Duke University's Fuqua School of Business, and I'm the author of "Reinventing You and Stand Out", as well as a former presidential campaign spokesperson, where I learned firsthand the importance of getting every word right. We'll start by covering common, but important situations where communication challenges might arise. First, with your colleagues and then with your supervisor. We'll round things out with a discussion of how to communicate effectively in tricky situations. The ones that often trip up even seasoned communicators, like cross-cultural communications, or how to deal with someone who constantly interrupts you. I'm excited to share these insights and more with you. Let's get started.
- Determine the most appropriate form of communication in a business situation.
- Identify instances in which one mode of communication is preferable to another mode.
- Explain the process involved in interpreting nonverbal cues.
- Define terminology relating to interpersonal communication.
- Distinguish between various communication approaches with individuals from other cultures.
- Describe the factors that underlie interruptions during business meetings.
- Examine the most appropriate ways to accept criticism.