From the course: Parallel and Concurrent Programming with C++ Part 1

Unlock the full course today

Join today to access over 22,400 courses taught by industry experts or purchase this course individually.

Thread life cycle: C++ demo

Thread life cycle: C++ demo - C++ Tutorial

From the course: Parallel and Concurrent Programming with C++ Part 1

Start my 1-month free trial

Thread life cycle: C++ demo

- [Instructor] To demonstrate the lifecycle of a thread from creation to termination, we've created this example program which recreates the interactions between Olivia and me, where I spawn her as a second thread to help slice sausages to make soup. The chef Olivia function defined on line seven begins by printing a message that Olivia has started and is waiting for the sausage to thought. The thread waits for three seconds, and then prints a second message that Olivia is done cutting sausage before it finishes execution. Below that, the program's main function represents my actions in the kitchen. It starts by printing a message on line 14 that Baron has started and requests Olivia's help, then creates a new chef Olivia object. In C++, a new thread will begin executing immediately after the associated thread object is instantiated. So, chef Olivia get started right away, pending the operating system schedule we're of…

Contents