- [Voiceover] What is cyberbullying?…In this video, we'll learn more about cyberbullying;…including what it is, the impacts that it's having,…and what we need to do to stop it.…Cyberbullying, like bullying,…is aggressive or intimidating behavior…towards someone else.…The difference, however, is that cyberbullying is done…through electronic means.…This may include sending emails or text messages,…posting on social media sites, such as Facebook or Twitter,…in online chat rooms or forums,…or anywhere else that you can share information online.…
Often, the purpose of cyberbullying is to embarrass…or humiliate another person…or to get them to do something.…According to a report on Dosomething.org,…nearly 43% of kids have reported being bullied online…and 25% reported being bullied repeatedly.…However, only one in 10 has said…that they've informed a parent or trusted adult…about this online abuse.…An equally alarming statistic is that 90% of teens…who have seen social media bullying have ignored it.…This is a major issue that needs to be addressed more.…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews