- [Voiceover] In this chapter, we'll discuss people's…online rights and responsibilities.…It's important for students to understand…that everyone has certain rights when online…which help to protect them as well as everyone else.…It's important that people are aware of these rights…and responsibilities and then act accordingly.…Some examples of our rights include the right to post things…on sites without those items being manipulated or stolen…by others who use it as if they've created it.…This issue can be viewed from two perspectives.…You as the person sharing should be able to share your work…with the world if you choose to.…
And you as the consumer should realize…that you cannot modify the work of others…or copy it and pretend as if you created something…which you didn't.…Not only is this unethical, but it's also illegal…and can fall under plagiarism or copyright infringement.…Also people have the right to free speech on the Internet,…much like in the real world, however, this is something…that should not be abused.…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews