- [Voiceover] In this chapter, I want to discuss…digital commerce,…which is the buying and selling of goods online.…In 2014, in the United States alone,…online retail sales were over 300 billion dollars.…That's 300 billion dollars.…There's been at least 15% growth in this category…for the past five years.…And of these sales, about 30% of them…are done on mobile devices.…As online retailers like Amazon.com become more popular,…the number of people buying products online…is skyrocketing.…
We all, including our students, have the ability…to pull out a digital device almost anywhere,…purchase something online,…and have it delivered to our doorstep.…This topic may seem slightly out of the scope…of this course,…but this is part of digital citizenship.…There's an urgent need for us to help educate our children…on becoming responsible and informed consumers…when online.…In order to prepare students to be responsible…online consumers,…we must help them develop important…critical thinking skills in order to…determine safe and secure sites to purchase from,…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews