- [Voiceover] In this video, we'll take a look…at two very important issues,…plagiarism and copyright infringement.…We've all heard about how important it is…to not plagiarize, but do students truly understand…what it means to plagiarize…or why it's so important to avoid?…First, what is plagiarism?…According to Merriam-Webster Dictionary,…plagiarism is the act of using another person's words…or ideas without giving credit to that person.…There are several different ways…that someone can plagiarize,…including, using someone else's words or ideas as your own.…
Another is quoting or paraphrasing someone else…and not giving an appropriate citation,…and even re-purposing your own work.…For instance, turning in a paper…that you wrote for one class…in for another class to receive credit.…Now, obviously, it's unethical…to simply use someone else's work…and pretend it's your own,…but this issue goes beyond a violation of simple etiquette.…Plagiarism is a serious issue…and can result in consequences,…including expulsion from a university,…
This course helps teachers and students understand the ideas and areas of digital citizenship. Oliver Schinkten describes the impact of our digital footprint. He shows how to participate in online communities, help students deal with cyberbullying, keep computers free of viruses and malware, and safely shop online.
The overall focus of this course is on educators and tips for teaching digital citizenship. But if you use the Internet for any reason—for communication, playing games, online shopping, interacting within communities, or any other reason—it is important to understand digital citizenship. Understanding your rights and responsibilities will help you stay safe and have a better experience online.
- Creating a positive digital footprint
- Addressing cyberbullying
- Joining online communities
- Finding solutions for the digital divide
- Conducting online research
- Maintaining privacy online
- Protecting yourself from viruses and malware
- Buying products online
- Engaging with online reviews