- So, I really hope you've enjoyed…all the lessons on this course,…and you're starting to feel confident…about putting all your new color knowledge…into your paintings,…from how to choose the perfect pigment…before you begin your painting…to how to mix subtle color strings…that could help you work within a compressed tonal range.…I really hope you enjoyed…capturing the different colors and moods of the seasons,…and I really look forward to seeing you on the next course.…
Will explains how to simplify and separate tonal values into areas of light and shadow, how to use warm and cool colors effectively, and how to mix a naturalistic green palette — a major color stumbling block in landscape painting. A vibrant spring green, for example, can be easy to mix, but hard to balance. The same is true for warm autumnal colors and the vivid blues of summer skies. Will shows how to build these palettes and use gestural impressionistic brushstrokes to paint different landscape scenes. By introducing washes and glazes, he demonstrates how to simulate the atmospheric light of each season. So break out your brushes and paints. Start watching to learn how to mix color for the landscape and approach painting the seasons with confidence.
- Setting up supports and grounds
- Choosing brushes, paints, and additional materials
- Mixing harmonious color palettes
- Creating a winter palette with neutrals
- Blending colors of atmospheric light
- Painting smoky edges and dark areas of a landscape
- Mixing and balancing green
- Underpainting a spring landscape
- Creating autumnal golden light
- Extending color palettes
- Adding watery washes and glazes
- Creating a vibrant summer palette
- Simplifying shapes in a landscape painting
Skill Level Beginner
Drawing Foundations: Light and Shadowwith Will Kemp1h 52m Intermediate
1. Materials and Setup
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.