- The history of branding (pre- and post-1950)
- The elements of branding
- Conducting research
- Solving problems and presenting solutions
- Creating logos and identity systems
- Building a visual system with color, typography, and more
- Communicating branding with manuals and vision books
Skill Level Beginner
- I'm Sean Adams, and I'd like to welcome you to the Foundations of Branding. For 30 years, I've worked with some of the world's largest brands to help create a strong and consistent message. I teach branding and brand identity at ArtCenter College of Design, and have written several books on the subject. Branding goes beyond a simple logo design, brochure, or website. It is a process that addresses the big ideas of successfully communicating a company's unique message.
I want you to have a clear understanding of how to deal with a client and reach the best outcome. Knowing what to ask and who knows the answer is a critical element of the process. Research, interviews, and presentation are as important as designing something wonderful. We'll define what a logo, wordmark, icon, and color palette are, and consider how they all work together as a cohesive system.
And we'll navigate the hand-off of a branding system, and how to create an ongoing relationship with the client. I've seen too many graphic designers with rare and amazing talent limited to designing only the logo, when I know they have the brain power to do so much more. I want you to move past a singular project and become an integral partner with the client. You don't need to be the best logo designer in the world. Whether you are a beginner or seasoned veteran, this course will increase your understanding, and concept, of a designer's job.
In the end, branding is about ideas and thinking big. Welcome to the Foundations of Branding.
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
3. Strategy 101
6. Visual System
Next steps1m 48s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.