In this video, learn what properties of a design solution can be measured through computer simulation. This allows you to measure a design’s performance in new ways and specify how a design should perform to an automated computer system.
- Generative models give computers the ability … to create a large variety of solutions … to a given design problem. … But how should the computer know … which of these designs is best? … When we work in traditional ways … our design goals can be murky and hard to pin down. … When a human designer judges the quality … of a design solution, their reasoning is often subjective … and based on the designer's intuition … that's developed through years of experience. … Unlike people, computers have no intuition … and can only be operated through a highly specific … set of instructions. … At the same time, a computer can process information … much quicker than a human being … and can thus evaluate many more design options … than a human designer. … To harness this computational power, … designers must translate their design goals … into metrics which are objective … and can be calculated directly by the computer. … To be useful in a generative design process, … a design metric needs to fit two conditions. …
- What is generative design?
- Generative design examples
- Designing the design space
- Measuring performance
- Optimizing the design
- Evaluating the design space
- Tools for simulation, scripting, and more
Skill Level Intermediate
Grasshopper: Generative Design for Architecturewith Walter Zesk3h 15m Intermediate
Revit and Dynamo for Interior Designwith William Carney4h 57m Intermediate
What you should know1m 41s
1. Foundations of Generative Design
2. Generative Design in Industry
3. Anatomy of Generative Design
4. Tools for Generative Design
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.