Walter has never presented a proposal or budget that didn’t have to be revised. In this video, he discusses some strategies for making cuts to your budget that can minimize the impact to your working concept, by using an actual budget from an original script-to-screen project he produced. He also presents a strategy for revisions that require the overall concept to be changed due to budget restrictions.
- [Instructor] I've never presented a proposal…or a budget that did not have to be revised.…A good strategy for revising your budget…is to make small cuts from many areas of your budget,…rather than making just a few, big cuts.…This often allows you to complete the project as planned,…but with a few less resources.…Revising your budget as we're using automated software…like a spreadsheet program, or Showbiz budgeting…really makes an impact.…Now on your exercise files, Chapter six,…we do have the Revision budget ready to go.…
So this is our original budget from before…that we're now going to revise.…Using automated software like this…you can quickly make changes to your budget…and see how each line item is affecting the bottom line.…Now, making revisions with a document basic template,…you'll have to keep working in the calculator…to see how these changes are impacting the final numbers.…I mean, it's doable, I've done it for years…before I used software like this,…but it is much slower in revising your budget…
- Completing a client assessment
- Discerning between client needs versus wants
- Developing a working concept
- Creating time and crew assessments
- Coming up with the budget
- Presenting the proposal
- Revising the budget
- Knowing when to walk away
Skill Level Intermediate
Video Foundations: Cameras and Shootingwith Anthony Q. Artis2h 58m Intermediate
Script Writing for Nonfiction Videowith Amy DeLouise1h 46m Intermediate
1. Client Assessment
Client need vs. want1m 55s
2. Concept Development
3. Prebudget Production Planning
4. Putting the Budget Together
5. Presenting Your Budget and Proposal
6. Revising the Budget
Next steps1m 7s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.