Network administrators and users are responsible for securing the wireless networks that they use. In this video, you will learn how to use basic wireless security techniques including limiting the use of SSID broadcasting, the use of MAC filtering, and using VPNs to secure wireless connections.
- [Instructor] Before we dive into the ways…that you can use wireless encryption…to protect the confidentiality of wireless networks,…let's spend a moment talking about some…of the basic ways that network administrators…and users can secure wireless networks.…First, wireless networks typically advertise themselves…in order to make users aware…that they are running in an area.…Wireless networks do this by broadcasting an identifier,…known as the service set identifier, or SSID.…This is simply a short name used…to identify the wireless network…and you probably know it as just the wireless network name.…
If we take a quick look at the wireless networks…available in my neighborhood,…I'm just going to pull down…this network name dropdown menu here,…and you can see all of these different networks…are visible to me.…These are networks running…in other buildings in this area,…and each one of them is broadcasting its SSID.…For example, ABW is the SSID of this network.…Home1C32 is SSID of this network.…There's no requirement that you broadcast your SSID.…
To join one of Mike's free study groups for access to bonus tips and practice questions, visit certmike.com.
- TCP/IP networking
- Network security devices
- Switches and routers
- Content distribution networks
- Storage networks
- Securing networks
- Network attacks
- Wireless networking and security
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/27/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover network relationships and security device placement.
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
Networks and communications1m 31s
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Network Attacks
7. Wireless Networking
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.