Load balancers, proxies, and web security gateways play important roles in ensuring the reliability and security of web applications and user access to external web content. In this video, learn the basic functioning of each of these three devices and the role they play in enterprise security.
- [Man] Some devices play a hybrid role,…serving as both important network devices…and significant security controls.…In this video, we look at three of these hybrid devices:…Load balancers, proxies, and web security gateways.…Basic web server configurations look something like this,…assigning an IP address to a web server…located on a DMZ network.…Network administrators then create a DNS entry…that ties the registered domain name for the server,…let's say www.myserver.com,…to the IP address of that server.…
Then, when users type myserver.com into their web browser,…they connect to that web server located in the DMZ.…This works well as long as the web server…can keep up with those requests from users.…Eventually, if the website grows,…the demand for the content will…exceed the capacity of the server.…Administrators might respond by making the server bigger,…but eventually the demand may grow again,…requiring a bigger and bigger server.…This approach is not scalable because eventually,…administrators won't be able to purchase a bigger server,…
To join one of Mike's free study groups for access to bonus tips and practice questions, visit certmike.com.
- TCP/IP networking
- Network security devices
- Switches and routers
- Content distribution networks
- Storage networks
- Securing networks
- Network attacks
- Wireless networking and security
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/27/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover network relationships and security device placement.
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
Networks and communications1m 31s
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Network Attacks
7. Wireless Networking
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.