Intrusion detection and prevention systems play an extremely important role in the defense of networks against hackers and other security threats. They sit on the network and monitor traffic, searching for signs of potentially malicious traffic. In this video, earn the use of network intrusion detection and prevention systems as well as the modeling techniques used by IDS/IPS: behavior, signature, anomaly, and heuristic.
- [Instructor] Intrusion detection and prevention systems…play an extremely important role…in the defense of networks against hackers…and other security threats.…Intrusion detection systems sit on the network…and monitor traffic, searching for signs…of potential malicious activity.…For example, an intrusion detection system might notice…that a request bound for a web server…contains a SQL injection attack,…that a malformed packet is attempting to create…a denial of service,…that a user's login attempt seems unusual…based on the time of day and prior patterns of activity,…or that a system on the internal network…is attempting to contact a Botnet…command and control server.…
All of these situations are examples of security issues…that administrators would obviously want to know about.…Intrusion detection systems identify this situation…and then alert administrators to any issues…for further investigation.…In many cases, administrators are not available…to immediately review alerts and take action…or are simply overwhelmed by the sheer volume of alerts…
To join one of Mike's free study groups for access to bonus tips and practice questions, visit certmike.com.
- TCP/IP networking
- Network security devices
- Switches and routers
- Content distribution networks
- Storage networks
- Securing networks
- Network attacks
- Wireless networking and security
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/27/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover network relationships and security device placement.
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
Networks and communications1m 31s
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Network Attacks
7. Wireless Networking
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.