If analyzing data from a database with a user-facing front end, it is extremely helpful to know where the data being displayed in the front end lands in the tables in the back end.
- [Instructor] Now that you know what techniques we are … going to use, … we can move on to practicing curating a database Front-end. … I came up with a simple example project so you can better … understand what I am teaching. … I'm a researcher and maybe you are too. … Researchers must publish in peer-reviewed medical journals … in order for us to do well in our careers. … So, as you can imagine, we are always writing manuscripts … and turning them in to journals … so they will get peer-reviewed. … Nowadays that is all done through an online journal … submission portal, they work a little like online college … course management systems. … You know, like Blackboard or Moodle … but each one is customized for the journal so they are … kind of like custom databases with their own Front-ends. … The web forms we use to submit the manuscripts … in their own Back-ends collecting the data we enter. … So we are going to pretend for a moment that we work … for one of these journals and we run one of these portals. …
- How curation files function as part of data management
- Back-end curation
- Front-end curation
- Steps for dashboard design
- Designing surveys
- Creating warehouse, analytic, and application flow diagrams
- Text-based curation files
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction to Data Curation
2. Back-End Curation
3. Front-End Curation
4. Special Curation for Surveys
5. Flow Diagrams
6. Text-Based Curation Files
7. Application in the Field
Next steps7m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.