In this video, data is examined as a record of measurement, regardless of where it is stored. You are encouraged to consider the potential measurement error of each variable separately, depending upon how the data are entered.
- [Instructor] Let's get philosophical for a moment, … and ponder the concepts of data and measurement, … and how they are related. … Let's think of a concrete example. … Let's say we have medical record data, … which includes the variables on the slide. … Maybe we are studying tobacco-use and heart disease. … So we are happy to see … that both blood pressure and tobacco-use measurements … are available. … Also, height and weight are helpful to have, … because we can tell if the patient is overweight. … But actually, it would be naive to think that … blood pressure and weight data in a medical record … were equally as valid and accurate as tobacco-use data. … The first three variables on the slide … were probably measured at the doctor's office, … by a trained clinician, … while the last three were measured by a self-report, … like the clinician asked the patient, … or they weren't even measured at all. … Just because the variables might be blank in the data … does not necessarily mean that the answer to those questions …
- How curation files function as part of data management
- Back-end curation
- Front-end curation
- Steps for dashboard design
- Designing surveys
- Creating warehouse, analytic, and application flow diagrams
- Text-based curation files
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction to Data Curation
2. Back-End Curation
3. Front-End Curation
4. Special Curation for Surveys
5. Flow Diagrams
6. Text-Based Curation Files
7. Application in the Field
Next steps7m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.