In this video, get introduced to curation files that focus on documenting the back-end of a data project. These include data dictionaries, which document the meaning of dataset variables, and crosswalks, which track how to combine disparate variables.
- [Instructor] This video is going to introduce you … to the concept of back-end curation. … Let me first make sure you and I are on the same page … with the terms back-end and front-end. … When I say back-end, … I'm referring to data tables in a database, … like the one shown on the slide. … When I say front-end, I mean the forms used for data entry … in order to populate the back-end. … If you are running a data warehouse, … you might not have much of a front-end on your system. … But data systems always have back-ends … because that's where the data are stored, in tables. … So, this video focuses on curation files we can make … to document the back-end data tables. … If you've experienced my LinkedIn Learning Courses, … Designing Big Data Healthcare Studies, … parts one and two, … then you'll be familiar with some of these terms. … I want to define a few of them now … because they will be useful to use in this course as well. … I use the term production data … to refer to data in a database …
- How curation files function as part of data management
- Back-end curation
- Front-end curation
- Steps for dashboard design
- Designing surveys
- Creating warehouse, analytic, and application flow diagrams
- Text-based curation files
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction to Data Curation
2. Back-End Curation
3. Front-End Curation
4. Special Curation for Surveys
5. Flow Diagrams
6. Text-Based Curation Files
7. Application in the Field
Next steps7m 1s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.