From the course: Advanced Java Programming

Unlock the full course today

Join today to access over 22,400 courses taught by industry experts or purchase this course individually.

The Thread class in Java

The Thread class in Java - Java Tutorial

From the course: Advanced Java Programming

Start my 1-month free trial

The Thread class in Java

- [Instructor] There are two ways to use threads in Java. One of the ways is to use a class that extends the thread class. In this example, I have a class called ThreadExample, which extends the Thread class. In this class I have also overridden the run method. Any calls that you want the thread to execute goes in this run method. And I could put anything I like in here. In this example I have just put a while loop that prints the numbers one to 100, and after each number I print the name of the current thread. I do this by calling this.getName. I also have a class called Main with a main method in it, which is currently empty. If I was to run this Main class it would actually start a thread. Every time you run any Java program it creates at least one thread. I can demonstrate this by putting a print statement in my Main method, and calling the static activeCount method of the thread class. When I run my application the output shows me that there is already one thread running. I can…

Contents