From the course: Parallel and Concurrent Programming with Java 1

Unlock the full course today

Join today to access over 22,400 courses taught by industry experts or purchase this course individually.

Thread lifecycle

Thread lifecycle - Java Tutorial

From the course: Parallel and Concurrent Programming with Java 1

Start my 1-month free trial

Thread lifecycle

- When a new process or program begins running, it will start with just one thread, which is called the main thread, because it's the main one that runs when the program begins. That main thread can then start or spawn additional threads to help out, referred to as its child threads, which are part of the same process but execute independently to do other tasks. Those threads can spawn their own children if needed, and as each of those threads finish executing, they'll notify their parent and terminate, with the main thread usually being the last to finish execution. Over the life cycle of a thread, from creation through execution and finally termination, threads will usually be in one of four states. If I'm the main thread in this kitchen, and I spawn or create another thread to help me, that child thread will begin in the new state. - Hello! - This thread isn't actually running yet, so it doesn't take any CPU resources. - I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing. - Part of…

Contents