- [Instructor] If you're coming … from an object-oriented background, … it may seem strange to you that functional programming … places an emphasis on keeping data and functions separate, … since one of the central concepts … of object-oriented programming … is that we put data and the functions related to that data … together in objects. … To understand why it makes sense … to keep data and functions separate … in functional programming, … it might be helpful to think about … why we keep them together in object-oriented programming … in the first place. … The main reason that it's useful … to keep data and functions together in the same object … is that this allows us to interact … with the member variables of an object … without touching them directly. … What's wrong with touching variables directly? … Well, if we give programmers direct access to variables, … they can, and in my experience will, … change them in ways that they're not supposed to. … Consider the simple case of a Person object …
- The goal of functional programming
- Declarative vs. imperative programming
- Ensuring immutability
- Arrow functions in ES6
- Passing functions as arguments
- Mapping, filtering, slicing, sorting, and reducing
- Advanced functional concepts, including recursion
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introductory Functional Concepts
2. First-Class Functions
4. Advanced Functional Concepts
5. Code Conversion Challenges
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.