In this video, discover how understanding who your ideal client is allows you to focus your marketing for them.
- One of the first steps in developing your marketing strategy is to understand who makes an ideal client for your business. Now, if you've got clients, that's going to be one of the best places to look. If you're just getting started, maybe this'll be a hypothesis. But if you have an existing client base, go to them and look at your most profitable clients. In fact, rank them from most profitable to least profitable. And what I suggest you're going to find is that there's work, there are projects. There are things that you're taking that maybe aren't that profitable, because it was a slow week, and so you took some business. Or you used to do that kind of work, and you don't do it anymore. So it's very important that you get clear about the type of work you shouldn't be taking. But more importantly, you're going to see that there are probably pockets of business, certain types of clients or certain types of problems that you solve that are your most profitable engagements. So you want to understand that very, very clearly. Now the second element I want you to look at is, of those most profitable clients, which ones are referring business to you today? Now if you can take that group, your most profitable clients that are already referring business, and you can come up with the common characteristics of that group, you are going to know very precisely the type of client you should go after. And I want you to be able to answer this question to anybody that asks you. "How would I spot your ideal client?" If you work with only ideal clients, your business will be profitable. And if you get rid of those clients that don't make sense for you, you'll find that you can be more excited about the work you're doing. You can be more excited about the engagements. You can be more excited when that phone rings, and it's a client on the other end. So let's create your ideal client profile by studying your existing clients.
- Focusing your core promise on a core problem
- Understanding your ideal client
- Mapping your customer journey
- Outlining the structure of your website
- Building a lead generation content platform
- Turning leads into paying customers
- Using promotion channels
- Onboarding clients
- Building a referral process