Author Chris Goward shows why marketing personalization programs fail, and how to avoid the mistakes. He shows why you need to A/B test your personalization hypotheses.
- A lot of people are launching personalization programs,…but they're running into barriers…and they're having problems with it.…They might not find they're getting the return they expected…so why do marketing personalization programs fail?…I see this all the time.…Ad hoc implementation of off-the-shelf features.…Marketers have a tendency to become enamored…with the promise of technology…and often buy tools without first having a strategy.…Well, that's like the tail wagging the dog.…You should first be asking yourself,…"What do I need to fix in my customer's experiences?"…And then find the tool or technique to accomplish that.…
The next failure factor is lack of an A/B testing process.…A lot of companies don't realize…that just because you're starting personalization…doesn't mean you're avoiding A/B testing.…A/B testing should be the layer…over top of all of your marketing hypotheses…and that includes personalization.…Poor customer insights are also a common problem.…Personalization is often not based…on actually understanding customers.…
Chris Goward has helped lead conversion optimization and personalization strategies for companies like IBM, Google, and HP. Join him in this course to learn the principles of marketing personalization, and strategies to put personalization to work in your campaigns. Chris reviews the different personalization platforms, and explains how to integrate them into your existing toolset. He helps you sort through data and find new opportunities, and prioritize your projects using the PIE framework.
- Why is personalization important?
- When to use personalization
- Integrating personalization platforms
- Personalizing existing targets
- Finding new opportunities
- Using personalization data
- Validating with A/B testing for growth and insights