From the course: Learning Mastercam for SOLIDWORKS

Unlock the full course today

Join today to access over 22,600 courses taught by industry experts or purchase this course individually.

Thread milling

Thread milling

From the course: Learning Mastercam for SOLIDWORKS

Start my 1-month free trial

Thread milling

- [Instructor] In this example movie, I'm going to be teaching you how to create a threadmilling operation in Mastercam, so the first thing I need to do is define what things I'd like to actually threadmill and why you might want to choose threadmilling over using maybe a tap. Well, for this situation here, we've got this big hole over here and generally a big tap that size would be hard to get hold of, and you probably don't have that in your shop. You might be able to buy one, but you know I said, it's going to be a little harder to find. Something on the outside over here is there's no taps for the outside of a part. There might be a thread whirling thing, or something along those lines, but in this case most shops are not going to have a tool that can tap or thread the exterior of a part, so if you have that requirement you pretty much have to deal with some type of a threadmilling operation. Threadmilling's also very effective, and it's actually very fast, right, 'cause depending…

Contents