One of Octopus Deploy's most powerful features is the ability to update the configuration of your application based on where the application is being deployed. Octopus can substitute values in many types of configuration such as app settings, connection strings, and configuration transforms.
- [Instructor] One of the most powerful parts…of Octopus Deploy is the ability…to easily apply variable substitutions…when a release is being deployed.…You can replace an app setting or connection string…with the value of an Octopus variable…simply by naming them the same.…For example, if I wanted to replace a connection…string name MyConnection in my web.config file,…I would create an Octopus variable named MyConnection.…If enabled, Octopus will see that the variable name…matches the connection string name and substitute the value.…
Many .net applications use config transforms…to alter configuration between environments.…Octopus Deploy can be configured to apply…config transforms in many ways.…It can be as simple as always using the Release transform…or as complicated as picking the transform…based on another variable.…If you store your configuration in a JSON format,…you can name your variable using the path…to the JSON name value pair you want to update.…For example, if your connection string was stored…in an object named DefaultConnection…
- What is Octopus Deploy?
- Working with the Octopus server and tentacles
- Using variables to scope configuration items such as roles and targets
- Installing and configuring Octopus Deploy
- Deploying a sample application
- Configuring a build server, adding a project, and creating a release
- Controlling release flow with life cycles and channels
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Octopus Overview
2. Key Concepts
3. Install and Configure
Configure with TeamCity5m 23s
4. Sample Application
5. Advanced Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.