Contact lists, formerly distribution lists, are lists of people that you want to email as a group. You can have as many contact lists as you wish in Outlook on the web. In this video, learn how to create and use contact lists in Outlook on the web.
- [Instructor] A contact list is a group of people that you want to email at the same time. In the past, contact lists were called distribution lists because they were used to distribute email. One other note, in the past, contact lists were also used if we wanted to invite the same group of people to different meetings. Contact lists don't work with the calendar. Contact lists are really made for email, so if your reason for grouping people together isn't so much about needing to send them email but perhaps some other purpose, then you probably want some kind of a contacts folder. Like for example, my Vendors folder or my Promo List folder. These are ways of grouping contacts. But if my purpose is to have a set of people that I can easily email, then a contact list is exactly what I want to create. So I'm going to choose new contact list, and I'm going to name my contact list Project Managers. Now I'm going to choose project managers. Robert, Griffin Snow, Rodney Tilden, and Charles Woodwick. There we go. I'm now going to create this new email distribution list, contact list, that includes our project managers. To use this then, I can send an email from here. Simply click send email and it will be addressed to Project Managers as a group, but it will have an expand icon that I can click if I want to see who's in the group. There's really no need for me to do that. I know who's in the group, I just put them there, so we won't do that. A few things to note about contact lists. First, there's no direct connection between the email addresses in the contact list and these same people's contacts. What that means is that when Rodney Tilden gets his email address upgraded, like everyone else has, the email address in his contact, or at least his email address in the default global address book, will automatically be changed. However, that will have no impact whatsoever on his email address in my list of project managers. If I want to change this email address in the list of project managers, I'll need to edit the Project Managers list, remove Rodney here, and then re-add him with his new address. If I have a contact list that I no longer need, for example, after the Burst promotion is over, I can simply delete it. I'll be prompted do I want to delete the contact list and it says contacts aren't deleted, just the list. And I can choose Delete then to delete this bundling of folks together in a particular contact list.
- Identify the ways to access Outlook on the web.
- Review options for sending emails and copying other recipients on emails.
- Describe methods to reply to emails that best utilize the features of Outlook on the web.
- Explain the various processes in creating calendar items.
- Distinguish between the three ways to create meetings in Outlook on the web.
- Differentiate between the various functionalities of Outlook on the web in utilizing lists.