Watch to learn the details of the Perl syntax, from variables, conditionals, loops, and data structures to regular expressions, functions, and references. A quick-start guide is included for experienced developers who want to get up and running with Perl 5 fast, and the entire course is recommended for both new and experienced programmers alike. Later chapters cover file handling and reusing code with Perl modules, plus Perl best coding practices.
- Understanding Perl's general syntax and the anatomy of a Perl script
- Writing statements and expressions
- Creating assignments
- Working with variables and strings
- Using data types effectively
- Defining logical flow with conditionals and loops
- Using special variables
- Using Perl operators
- Performing simple Perl programming tasks with expressions
- Matching data
- Defining and calling functions
- Using references
- Handling files in the file I/O
- Using built-in functions
- Reusing code with modules
- Coding with Perl best practices
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Bill Weinman, and welcome to Perl 5 Essential Training. The goal of this course is to provide you with the basic knowledge you need to write effective scripts in the Perl language. We'll start with an introduction to basic syntax of the Perl language. I'll explain how values and variables work in Perl. I'll show you how to use conditionals, loops, and functions. I'll give you a basic introduction to Perl's powerful regular expression system. I'll cover Perl's unique system of special variables to control the environment, and finally, I'll show you Perl's simple, yet powerful object-oriented programming model.
A thorough understanding of Perl will help you write more efficient and effective scripts, so let's get started with Perl 5 Essential Training.
1. Setting Up
About Perl3m 36s
2. Quick Start
3. Basic Syntax
4. Values and Variables
7. Special Variables
9. Regular Expressions
11. References and Structures
12. File I/O
13. Built-In Functions
15. Best Practices
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.