- So far we've talked a lot about…gear, light, composition.…And you know, as photographers…it's pretty fun to capture portraits…and get excited about all of these things,…but what can happen is this.…We can all of a sudden hold our camera up to our eye…and it can completely disconnect,…or block us from our subject.…So the question is, is how do we build…rapport and lasting trust…with the people that we're photographing.…Well here I have a few tips for you.…Starting off with this idea that one of things…that you want to think about…is what you bring to the table is really important.…
You want to bring things like warmth, confidence, and empathy.…And what I mean by that is warmth is just that sense that…hey you know what, this is going to work out.…This is going to be good and I'm confident in that.…You also want to have some empathy, in other words…very few people really like having their portrait made.…You need to keep that in mind.…Maybe for you it's super exciting…because you get to take a photograph of…someone you admire and respect,…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning40m 58s Beginner
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.