A big light will allow you to cast a soft light on your subject. But suppose the only lights available to you are smaller, harder lights. What can you do to quickly make those hard lights into softer lights? In this video, author Levi Simm shows you how the easily turn your small hard lights into soft lights.
- Remember, our goal is to have a bigger light…because it's going to make a softer…and more flattering light on our subjects.…However, closer is the same as bigger.…We need a bigger light in relation to our subject.…So, if we were standing closer to the sun,…like if we were on Mercury, the sun would be enormous,…and it would be a nice soft light.…But, as it is, we're here and we need to make…the small sun up in our sky into a big light.…Or, if we're using strobes and speed lights,…we need to make those little tiny lights into nice big ones.…
And the reason is when we've got a small light,…say I've got my small flash in here,…that light is casting one shadow.…But when I enlarge it into this thing…or bring it closer to my subject,…now I consider this a whole bunch of little lights.…And I've got a light right here at this edge,…and that's casting one shadow.…And then a light over here is casting a shadow.…And then the light all the way across here…is also casting shadows.…And each of those shadows are being filled in a little bit…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.