- All right.…Well, in this movie, we're going to talk about…a few different topics.…We're going to take a look at how we can work…with light and use a lighting tool like this,…which is called a v-flat.…We'll talk about that in a second.…And I also want to talk about how we can direct…and connect with our subjects.…All right.…Well, first the v-flat.…The v-flats basically are these items…which are made out of foam core.…You can get these at many different types of stores.…You can use these to reflect light…or to balance light back in.…You can use them as backdrops…or you can use them to block light,…which is what I want to do.…
If we take a look at our subject here, Ashley,…right now she's standing…and there's some sunshine coming on her.…And I want to do is create a little bit more…of some open shades.…So I'm going to bring this in, and I'm going to create…my own open shade.…What that means is, as we've talked about in this course,…right about there.…Is that open shade is often created…by something blocking the sun.…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning40m 58s Beginner
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.