- Another important step to consider taking…when you're interested in becoming a pro…is to begin to think about how you monetize…your time, your craft and your skill…because what tends to happen to people,…so when they have passion about something,…they tend to undervalue what they do,…and that really is a surefire way to ensure…that you probably won't succeed.…And, so, one of the ways to counteract that…is to start off with a goal.…What really is your goal for your photography…in regards to your overall income?…Is this sort of a side-hustle or is this something…you want to do to be able to support your family,…maybe even more.…
Now, based on that goal, can help you to come…up with sort of a price strategy…because a lot of photographers will ask me,…"well, Chris, how much should I charge?"…Well, a lot of those factors depend upon…the type of photography that you do,…your own goals with that photography, where…you're situated, where you're located,…and other things as well.…In other words, let's say that you do fashion photography…
In this course, photographer Chris Orwig shows how to shoot effective portraits in natural light—even when the light isn't great. Chris explains how to find the best light, use open shade to your advantage, and leverage the uniqueness of doorway light. He also goes into camera and lens considerations, creating better compositions, working with people, planning for a shoot, and tackling a live shoot. Plus, he shares some tips for earning income as a people photographer.
- Why back light is great for portraits
- Lighting from the side
- Using open shade to your advantage
- Working with dappled and window light
- Camera and lens considerations
- Choosing the right lens
- Creating better compositions
- Posing and directing subjects
- Preparing for a shoot
- Earning income as a people photographer
- Jumpstarting your professional delivery
Skill Level Intermediate
Narrative Portraiture: On Location in New York Citywith Chris Orwig1h 30m Intermediate
Learning Lighting: Natural Lightwith Erin Manning40m 58s Beginner
1. Find the Best Light
2. Camera Craft
3. Create Better Compositions
4. Working with People
Advanced tips9m 7s
5. Planning Ahead
6. Live Shoot
7. Turn Your Passion into Profit
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.