There are many different lighting setups and styles that you can create with just one light. What are these different lighting setups? How do you know which one is best for the portraits you are shooting? In this video, author Levi Sim discusses things to consider when deciding upon a lighting setup to use.
- In this chapter, we're going to make…10 different portraits with one light.…And for each of these portraits,…the most important thing is to think about…what that portrait should say.…What's the mood, what's the message?…Think to yourself, I like this picture because...…And whatever you fill in that blank with,…that's the word that we're looking for…as we light it, as we use a backdrop,…as we pose for it.…And so, if it's moody, or dramatic, or fun,…and airy, and high-key, all of these words…should dictate how we set up our photograph.…
You know, we've got a thousand words in a picture,…and you should sculpt your photograph to project…those words to your viewer.…As you think about the words that you want your picture…to depict, take the first word that comes to mind,…and then expound on it.…If it's an athletic picture, don't just consider athletic.…But think of endurance, think of the sport itself,…think of grit.…Instead of just being moody, think of dramatic,…think of sad, and then from sad,…go for morose,…or sorrowful.…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.