If you are looking for a lighting setup that gives you a more mysterious or dramatic look to your subject’s portrait, the setup you can use is Rembrandt lighting. In this video, author Levi Simm demonstrates how to position your light to create Rembrandt lighting.
- Rembrandt lighting is a little bit more dramatic than loop…lighting and it's a great way to tell a story and have…kind of a documentary look to its pictures and it's a little…bit more mysterious than loop lighting.…Whereas loop lighting is flattering, it's the kind of thing…you use in a portrait of a woman, a headshot for anybody,…Rembrandt lighting gives it a little bit more edge.…Let me show you how this works.…All we need to do to make Rembrandt lighting is connect…that no shadow to the cheek and maybe even add a little…bit of shade to the far eye, to the eye that's closer to…the camera but also the eye that is…getting the shadow on it.…
So I'll move this light over.…That's better, there we go.…Okay so the things that typify the Rembrandt lighting,…when we did the loop lighting pattern,…the loop shape shadow coming off the nose right there…really typified the loop pattern.…Now when we deal with Rembrandt, we're looking for…this triangle shape of light right here on the cheek…and that really typifies Rembrandt lightning.…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.