When it comes to making your small light bigger, there are two ways you can do this. You can reflect the light or shine the light through something. But what equipment do you need in order to do this? In this video, author Levi Simm shows you the types of modifiers you can use to reflect or shine light through.
- There's basically two ways…to modify light to make it bigger.…You can reflect it off things…or you can shine it through things.…Like this, this is a five in one reflector.…It's got gold on one side, white on the other,…and then you unzip this cover…and inside it's got silver and black…and it's got a translucent center.…Here's another one.…This is a round version.…And this is the translucent side.…You can see that light can shine through this,…and this one becomes a diffuser,…and that's another great way to make light larger.…
Now, there's instances when you want to do both of 'em.…When we use a flash, we usually shine through a diffuser…to make the light larger.…This kind of a softbox is the same thing.…It's got a white cover on it.…And then inside it's got silver…that makes the light more efficient…so that all the light is caught…and thrown forward towards your subject.…Whereas on the umbrella, you just want to shoot through it.…Now, there are reflective umbrellas out there,…and you've seen these at photo studios…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.