There are many different lighting setups and styles that you can create with just one light. What are these different lighting setups? How do you know which one is best for the portraits you are shooting? In this video, author Levi Sim walks you through how to create a silhouette portrait with one light.
- This kind of a picture is really simple to do…and many photographers overlook it,…but I think you should make a silhouette…every time you shoot.…It's super simple to do.…All you have to do is position your subject…in front of the light.…In this case, we simply shined our flash…through the diffuser and positioned Hillary…in front of it, so that we just see her silhouette.…This kind of a thing is really cool…and it can be very elegant.…Try to make sure when you make a silhouette…that it's a clean silhouette.…
You don't want to have a lock of hair…coming down and kind of merging with the nose,…or coming out of the nose in the silhouette.…It looks like spaghetti coming out of her nose.…That's something to watch out for.…Make sure that the chin and the lines around the face…are all clean of distractions.…Whenever I photograph a silhouette like this,…it reminds me of those Victorian portraits…that people made, a silhouette casting a shadow…on the wall, and then drawing a picture…that way around it.…And so, this is kind of a modern take…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.